By definition of experts, Bipolar Disorder, also known as manic depression, causes serious shifts in mood, energy, thinking and behavior. This could range from the highs of mania on one extreme, to the lows of depression on the other.(Source of Definition)
The life of a person suffering Bipolar Disorder is indeed challenging. This is why it is extremely important to consider medication in order to beat it. There are many medications available to treat bipolar disorder which, if taken with proper precaution, will definitely pave a better life for a person undergoing it.
MEDICATIONS TO TREAT BIPOLAR DISORDER
Over the past few years, many medications have been developed for Bipolar Disorder. The following are the most popular and most effective ones. However, remember not to self-medicate and make sure you get medical assistance before trying out any kind of medication.
- Lithium – If you’re familiar with the famous rock band Nirvana, you’ve probably rocked out to their song entitled Lithium which is written by their vocalist, Kurt Cobain who also suffered from Bipolar Disorder. Lithium works as a mood stabilizer so that when a person goes through manic or depressive states, it lessens the chance of reoccurring, However, unlike other bipolar medications, lithium needs time to work. Your body needs to be familiar to the substance for weeks before it can take effect.
- Benzodiazepines – This kind of drug slows down the nervous system. This helps if a person suffering from bipolar disorder often experiences anxiety. It is strongly suggested that this drug be used for a short-term only. Unlike lithium, benzodiazepines take effect right away.
- Antipsychotics – This is a very familiar drug in the world of mental disorders. In fact, aside from treating Bipolar Disorder, it also treats schizophrenia. Antipsychotics are very effective when it comes to managing mood swings. More importantly, antipsychotics play a big role when a person suffering bipolar disorder starts to have psychotic episodes which could be hallucinations or delusions.
- Antidepressants –This medication is often prescribed with mood stabilizers because the stabilizers help with the manic phase and the anti-depressants help with the depressed state. That being said, doctors carefully prescribe this hand in hand with mood stabilizers and specify when it should be taken.
- Anticonvulsants – This is also known as anti-seizure medications and is primarily used to treat epilepsy but is also being used to treat bipolar disorder. This drug is considered as strong as lithium so it’s very effective as long as it is taken with proper precaution. Take note that people with heart, kidney or liver disease cannot take the drugs.
And there you go! Those are the top 5 medications used to treat bipolar disorder. Of course, alongside this, some doctors recommend therapy as well. A lot of people were able to prove that medication coupled with therapy can really aid in treating bipolar disorder.